Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Smart electricity at home

I am desperately looking for a good solution for simple, cheap, centralized control system for all electric appliances and things that use electricity at home. I need it for lamps, computers, refrigerators, tv, electric floor or water heating, wall sockets - absolutely for everything that uses electricity.

These things simply must be accessible for control (on/off) and status tracking via TCPIP network!

Just imagine having a centralized system where you can look at detailed event logs for each such component (when it was turned on/off, how much electricity it used etc). You can use this data to do super precise cost control and accounting, for example, not to mention the possibilities to swich on/off these devices remotely.

I am aware of X10 devices, but I live in Europe... www.x10europe.com seems to be trading in these goods around here. But can X10 do logging, tracking of electricity used by device? Or is there a more modern technology somewhere?

(update 1)

Look at that, there is actually such a thing: http://www.plogg.co.uk/
It's using Zigbee or Bluetooth technology to communicate with PCs.

No comments: